Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Ultimate Photography - For any person - amateur or professional - who loves photography. From portfolios with high-quality images to tutorials

Forums     Login   Signup

Ultimate Photography

Manager: system1
The Community Forum for DISCUSSION relating to photography DO NOT SPAM! We ask that you respect others by recognizing the difference. If you have a website to promote, JOIN THE RING! That is what it is for. Keep the Forum for discussion ONLY. Due to the high amount of spam, you must be LOGGED INTO your WebRing User ID to post a comment. Sorry, but you can thank the "underdeveloped" photographers for the need for that rule.

Sponsored Links

Welcome to the Ultimate Photography Forum
A forum for Ultimate Photgraphy
  Now that Webring has given us the option to have a forum for the ring, we m

To our Visitors
  Welcome! While you are here, do not forget to click on "View Ring Sites" wh
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

New Minolta Maxxum 5d. Where did I go wrong? - 12/16/2005
Is it the camera or the printer?

My first SLR camera was a Minolta Maxxum 5 35mm. I became very excited about the new Maxxum 5d when I read an article about it in Popular Photography. It was in my price range and all my current lenses would work with it. When a rebate was offered this month, I finally decided to purchase a 5d.

After I got it and charged the battery, I took a picture whatever was in front of me, which happened to be a bouquet of fake flowers. I got a nice close up of them. When I uploaded the image to my computer, I was pretty happy with the results. I could actually see the individual threads of the flower. I printed an 8x10 photo on my HP Photosmart 2570 using the highest dpi and glossy photo paper. I was extremely disappointed with the results, to put it mildly. The flowers were one big blur with visible pixel edges.

I decided then to print a smaller picture of a different subject. I printed a 4x7 of a road sign. The quality was better, but still not what I expected. To look at it you'd think the picture was taken with my old off brand 3mp point and shoot.

My grandmother has a new 4mp point and shoot. She doesn't have a computer so all her pictures are printed at Wal-Mart. Even her pictures are better than what I'm getting and you can tell hers are from a digital and not a film camera.

When I bought this camera, I was expecting to get at least close to the same picture quality as what I was getting with my film SLR. Was I expecting too much from a 6mp digital or do I need to spend $400+ for a better printer? Please help. I only have one more day to decide if I want to return the 5d. I donít know how Iíll explain this to my Maxxum 5.

Replied - 12/20/2005
I'm sorry that you are not getting good results with your 5D and printer combination. I recently bought a 5D and love it. I gave up on printing my own stuff at home years ago. Rarely worth it considering ink and paper costs. I just can't see spending what the labs do on the equipment they use to print so I just take tons of pictures and print only a few at the local WalMart and have been getting great results. Are you sure you have your camera set to the highest possible resolution setting? Also, try the RAW format for optimum results but very high memory card usage. Good luck.

Replied - 02/05/2006
Printing is a specialized process. If what you say is true, that you sould see all the threads in the flowers, why NOT go to wal-mart and try their printing? Make sure your camera is on the max jpeg setting. Screen resolution and print resolution are different. Your HP printer may not be up to snuff. Sometimes it's the paper. Why not upload your images to Shutterfly or Mysticcolorlabs.com? have them printed by printing people...
Good luck with your new camera!

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy